Hi I`ve been a lurker for a good while on here. I read the UPC thread and I have a similar issue imo. While this was going on I was studying and busy with a couple of other things.
So here goes, I had a mobile phone account and I had built up a sizeable debt by Jan this year. I was waiting for the contract to run out when the company cut the service without notice or stating why. I phoned them and asked how much I owed and paid the amount a couple of days later. When it was paid an error was made, in that the narrative stated my bank account and not my mobile phone account. The company then went into "bully boy" mode and applied another charge to the account and apparently sent me another bill. I did not receive a bill until the end of March. I rang them, explained the situation and the lady I spoke with was friendly enough. I agreed to furnish the proof of payment, being the copy of the debit, credit and my account statement. I sent it off but got another notice 3 weeks later demanding payment with a threat of action. I rang again and ended up in a conversation with someone who I can only describe as very unhelpful. So I emailed and sent the copy of the transactions again.
I then got a letter from their debt collector. I rang someone in his employ, explained the situation and afterward forwarded him the same proof previously sent to the phone company. I also sent a letter seeking discovery of certain documents including notice of claim, a copy of my original contract, a copy of their contract appointing them to claim the debt, a copy of the termination notice, a copy of all phone calls/texts on the account for the year up to the date of termination and confirmation that they held the bank account no ******** on the day I had paid the debt. I then received another letter with bigger threats and I was letting fourteen days pass with the intention of aggressively defending myself. I was contemplating filing a complaint to the gards as I had all the proof and I felt there was clear intent on their part to extort/demand with menaces further payment.
Last Friday I got a letter from the phone company apologizing and outlining their reason for what had happened. I finally gave it my full attention tonight and imo, its not good enough. I have draughted an invoice with several items but I`m hesitant to proceed.
I also rang comreg on monday to see whats what and they have no power in this situation. Any thoughts or opinion from anyone with some experience of the legal position would be greatly appreciated. I realise I could just forget it.