I had a credit card with bank in Australia.  Six months ago I stopped working and was unable to keep up my payments to the bank (one of the big four).  I told them right at the start when they began ringing me that I was not working and would not be working for at least twelve months so I would be unable to pay them what they were wanting me to.  I offered on the phone to pay them a small sum each month and they told me that the amount was too small to make any difference.

Now the debt has obviously been sold off to the debt collectors as I have just received a letter from a lawyer promising all sorts of dreadful things if I didn't pay up within seven days.  A couple of days ago I received a message on my phone from someone with a heavy accent (sounds Indian) that wanted me to call them back.

I'm pissed off with these folks and I've lost patience now and just want to bail out of the whole deal.

Has anyone in Australia got to this point and been through the mill with debt collectors and had a successful outcome in dealing with them.

Based on the information I've been reading so far I've been planning to offer them a small sum of money each month and then if they reject that offer then plan on contesting the debt on the grounds that they have rejected my offer to settle.

I've observed that others claim that we should ask for a signed invoice from the bank that issued the card.

Has anyone succeeded in any of these approaches before or any others for that matter?  If so what exactly did you do?

I don't have any assets to speak of.  By that I mean any houses, car or anything else of substantial value for that matter.

Views: 887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where are your rules and statutes dealing with the conduct of debt collectors and their agents or agencies?
WHAT ARE THEY ALLOWED TO DO AND WHAT ARE THEY NOT ALLOWED, TO DO?
Once you know the rules then, simply apply them.
There is a fellow at this site who sues collection agencies successfully on on going basis.
The collection agencies settle out of court ,as a rule.
http://www.debtorboards.com/
Hey Jackie, what is the name of the man you are referring to on that site?

Jackie Grant Vel'oice: Harper said:
Where are your rules and statutes dealing with the conduct of debt collectors and their agents or agencies?
WHAT ARE THEY ALLOWED TO DO AND WHAT ARE THEY NOT ALLOWED, TO DO?
Once you know the rules then, simply apply them.
There is a fellow at this site who sues collection agencies successfully on on going basis.
The collection agencies settle out of court ,as a rule.
http://www.debtorboards.com/
I'm not too worried about the threatened door visit. At this stage I think they are just blowing hot air and I imagine that once I get them into tacit that I should be left alone.
Success in New Zealand!
Original thread....http://forum.worldfreemansociety.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3893&...
Travette was successful in dealing with his issue of an alleged $12,000.00 credit card debt.
Kudos to him!!!!
A new day dawns on the bankers.
I just received a email from him....

Ross-Warwick: Guthrie to me
show details 2:36 PM (3 hours ago)

Heya Jack
The process is now complete. 1 to the people and 0 to the banksters....)

I have all my documentation up online now.
(http://www.mindwarpsectorfour.com/creditcard.html)

Sp thanks for your advice!

Im sure the bank will dream up some way of getting me into court next
but for the time being I have the victory!!

Feel free to spread this link and if you have any extra commentary to
would like to add to this page just let me know.You have an excellent
understanding of this process so I would love to add some of your
words..

Cheers
Rossco.
- Show quoted text -
--
www.mindwarpsectorfour.com
Very impressive would love to see this happen in the Republic of Ireland.
Its easy!
Simply imitate success!

Drifter said:
Very impressive would love to see this happen in the Republic of Ireland.
I sent off my third letter last week and got back the receipt notification in the mail. I have not heard anything from them since I sent my second letter. I'll see what happens now if anything and report back to you if any further developments occur. I'm not sure how far down the road we should go before I consider this a success story on my part.

Given my Christian moral values it was not a path I wanted to go down but given my current financial situation I couldn't see any other way short of going down the bankruptcy track which I certainly didn't want.
George Tasker said:

Given my Christian moral values it was not a path I wanted to go down but given my current financial situation I couldn't see any other way short of going down the bankruptcy track which I certainly didn't want.

I think my Christian Moral values urged me on to tell the banks to go take a hike. Sweating about loans and forgetting about the other valuable things in life. ;-) Jebus saves.
Hi
I have the same problem. So I told them I was attending my local budgetry service and the credit card bill was a unsecurred (SIC) loan and they must accept my offer.. I also said that I had a visa for Canada and was leaving Ireland soon. They are anxious to accept my offer but I am negoating a once off payment of approx 1/3 of the bill. Do up a formal letter to them and see what happens.
Hi Carol,
if your going to settle go for 80% discount. I have heard of others that have got this
Well that is essentially what I did but I don't have to feel good about it. I treat it the way some treat divorce i.e a necessary evil. As I was telling a very close friend of mine recently who I can trust, this is one way out of the debt hole without going through bankruptcy which is kept under wraps. It is entirely possible that the Almighty showed me this information as another way out of the problem.

Now that push has come to shove I'm not interested in jumping off the cliff if there is another way. The information I found here and in other similar places has given me that other way.

Antaine ón Clan Ó' Connacháin said:
George Tasker said:
I think my Christian Moral values urged me on to tell the banks to go take a hike. Sweating about loans and forgetting about the other valuable things in life. ;-) Jebus saves.
George,

Are you equating the ending of a marriage to the ending of an alleged debt to a financial institution? Thats crazy logic. At least the wife loved you once for who you were. The Banks only love you for what you can give to them each week out of your pay check... cue Globalmans response :-)

Peace and Love
Antaine

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Kev.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service